- India’s Struggle for Independence – Bipan Chandra
- Facets of Indian Culture – Spectrum
- NCERT XI (Ancient & Medieval)
- NCERT XII (Modern Indian History)
- Indian Art and Culture by Nitin Singhania
Recommended Books – Prelims
Recommended Books – Mains
Kurukshetra Magazine is a monthly magazine published by the Government of India,
Why read the Kurukshetra Magazine?
Apart from presenting the Indian Governemnt’s views about various issues, Kurukshetra Magazine also provides the data and analytical descriptions concerning the same.
Reading the this Magazine equips the candidates well in a manner so that they write logically convincing Essays for the Essay Paper, Mains, CSE. Each of the topics covered in the Magazine is analyzed well concerning all the relevant perspectives by the writers from numerous backgrounds.
And it should not be forgotten that the monthly Kurukshetra Magazine covers a considerable portion of the syllabus for the General Studies, Mains, Civil Services Exam, UPSC.
And the reader would also come across relevant information concerning various government initiates, government schemes, and the policy initiatives etc., recently launched by the government specifically for the sake the upliftment of the rural India.
How is Kurukshetra Magazine different from Yojana Magazine?
The official venture by the Government of Indis has sponsored the publications of Kurukshetra Magazine and Yojana Magazine. However, both of them focus on entirely different aspects of current scenarios prevailing in India. While Yojana Magazine is co-sponsored by Niti Aayog, the Kurukshetra Magazine is supported by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting. The Ministry of Rural Development of India describes various Government initiatives and schemes directed towards rural upliftment of India, whereas, in Yojana Magazine, the editors put forward various positive and negatives aspects of socio-economic developments of India forwarded by Niti Aayog.
The motives behind these two magazines are entirely different. Yojana Magazine is directed towards expressing socio-economic scenarios whereas Kurukshetra Magazine focuses towards rural development. Although both of the magazines are by the Government of India, and they clearly represent the viewpoints of Government, Yojana Magazine is more liberate while Kurukshetra magazine describes the initiatives and schemes undertaken by the Government in a detailed manner.
For reader’s expediency and ease of convenience for our candidates, we have enlisted all the previous year’s publications of Kurukshetra Magazine. Here are all the easily downloadable links for pdf versions and one can study them online.
Yojana is a monthly journal devoted to socio-economic issues. The magazine gives different shades of opinion and views on any issue and thereby presents a balanced picture. You can read the magazine online and subscribe to it as well.
Why to read the Yojana magazine
- Covers dynamic issues: For the changing UPSC syllabus and pattern of question papers, Yojana magazine provides the dynamic source for contemporary issues. Nowadays UPSC questions cannot be tackled simply based on reading static material. The questions are more and more current affairs based. Hence, the aspirants need to track issues in news related to the socio-economic issues which are covered well by Yojana.
- Useful for GS Mains, Essay and language paper: Yojna’s reports and articles contain a lot of articles about the keywords used in UPSC examinations. For example – Rural economy, Urban infrastructure, Self help groups, Climate change, Disaster management etc. All these socio economic issues are important for GS Mains as well as Essay writing.
- Yojana magazine can also be useful for the Indian Language paper as the magazine is published in 13 languages viz. English, Hindi, Urdu, Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Bengali, Assamese, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Malayalam and Odia.